Last night Ryan and I went down to London to hear Mark Driscoll preach at St James Church. Its a long time since I have been in an old historical church with pews. After 2 hours sitting on the pews my bum was a little sore!
Its was great to get a chance to hear Mark in person although I have listened and watched many of his podcasts. He spoke from Acts 17 examining Paul's plan for reaching the city of Athens.
- Paul contextualised and contended
- Many Christians are scared of the city but God loves cities.
- He was not seduced by the city but he came to save the city
- Paul went to the place of worship of the day. Our places of worship today are, Pubs, Restaurants, Concert Venues and Stadiums.
- Too many people today are trying to make Jesus relevant to the culture. Jesus has always be relevant he just needs to be contextualised.
- There are 3 reactions to Paul's message: Contempt, Curiosity and Conversion.