v2 O my soul, bless God, don’t forget a single blessing!
In a week that has been traumatic for our family with news that is difficult to take my reading this morning has made me sit up and take notice. I am not sure what place the writer of this song finds himself but it almost feels like he is trying to drag himself out of a hole.
He challenges himself to not forget the blessings God has brought into his life. To shift his focus from self to God's goodness and faithfulness to him. For line after line he then lists how God has impacted his life finishing with the crescendo of challenging everyone, everywhere in all situations to praise this great God.
At the best of times it is so easy to forget the good things and focus on the bad. Someone can say 100 good things about you but somehow its the one negative thing that sticks. The songwriter is reminding himself and us that what God says about us and does for us should never be a footbote to be skimmed over.
Take a moment to remember every single blessing God has brought into your life this week.
- I continue to be astounded at God's grace and love for me even when I continue to let him down.
- I thank him for stepping into my life 35 years ago and even though I have had my doubts he never has.
- I get the amazing awesome privilege to spend my time working with Him to build his church.
- He brought my amazing wife into my life which I just cannot imagine life without.
- He gave me the gift of 2 children.
- He surrounded me with friends that I do not deserve.
- He takes time out to speak to me when I listen.
- In the toughest of times he feels my pain and carries me when I cannot even stand.