Reflections on Mark Driscoll and the Church from Desiring God on Vimeo.
John Piper hits it out of the park with a truly Jesus view on the problems faced when Christian's and christian leaders fail. In this video he is answering a specific question retaliated to people walking away from church because of the failures of well know leaders Mark Driscoll from Mars Hill, Seattle.
- There is no church that I like everything about..including my own.
- It (Mark Driscoll) is not a unique situation, in history or in our day, Christians are failing, lay people and pastors everyday and bringing reproach on the gospel.
- Who has not let Jesus down.
- Historically God has been willing to use people to speak Gospel truth who have motives that are defective.
- Gos is unbelievably merciful to use you and I to speak Gospel truth with our defects.
- You have to have a category for gospel faithfulness in defective containers.
- Don't throw the baby of truth out with the bathwater of sin.
- To walk away from Jesus because Jesus representatives are failures is to make an absurd choice, Jesus is our only hope.
- Jesus is the one person in the universe who has no defects, he has no failures.
- As I look over history God must be the kind of general who looks over his army that willing accepts tactical defeats for strategic victories.
- The general is not out of control!
- If you walk away from the church you are walking away from church.
- To say that I love Jesus and not submit to his word is a lie. Jesus founded the church I didn't
- The choice of Jesus over the church implies a choice of your opinion over the Bible...because the Jesus of the Bible is the Jesus of the church.