Session 2 at the HTB Leadership Conference was hosted by Bill Hybels of Willow Creek Church. I have heard Bill talk many times and much of what he shared I have heard him talk about before. (Doing it is another matter) However listening to Bill is never a head knowledge thing it is always a heart thing which touches my deep rooted emotions.
The passion that runs inside him for the church and lost people oozes out of every pore in his body. So listening to this inspirational man is no mere intellectual process of gathering information it is a passionate emotional exchange of the Holy Spirit.
Here are a few of the notes I jotted down which don't even begin to explain the expanse of what I learned.
- The church of Jesus deserves to be FED and LED well.
- "I believe the most important ingredient in leading well is VISION."
- Vision is a picture of the future that produces passion in people.
- The job of a leader is to spend time on your knees to understand where God wants to take you and then humbly take people there.
- Our job as leaders is to take people from HERE to THERE.
- I have found no matter how well I describe THERE people like to stay HERE. It's comfortable & familiar. THERE means change and people fear change.
- I have discovered that it is better to describe HERE. How bad HERE is. What will happen if we stay HERE and let the pressure build.
- In the gap between HERE & THERE the most dangerous time for vision is in the middle. After the hope of the start and before the first glimpse of the finishing line. The middle where the the hard graft is done.
- Leading, keeping and developing a fantastic team is one of our most important tasks. Leaders never want to achieve a God given dream alone.
- In recruiting your team look for four things: 1. Character 2. Competence 3. Chemistry / Culture 5. Calling
- If you are unsure if a person should be on your team, imagine you get a text from them today saying I quit. Is your first reaction to party or to vomit?
Watch his session below. Jump to 2 hrs 47 min: